There is a growing need for more affordable, energy efficient, comfortable housing, especially in our cities. We need innovative new collaborations from key players with scalable responses to these pressing challenges. This event provided a shared space for a range of stakeholders to consider what more the construction sector can do to help deliver solutions.
Check out the twitter debate: #ConcreteDialogue2016 - and don't forget to follow us for more news: @ConcreteDialog
The event was held at the Square in Brussels on 17 November. The scene was set by Marie Donnelly (Director of Renewables, Research and Innovation, Energy Efficiency, DG Energy, European Commission) and Greg Foster (Area Vice President Europe, Middle East and Africa, Habitat for Humanity), who provided their views on:
- The nature and scale of challenges which people are facing today
- Energy policy and implications for the construction sector
This was followed by a series of short interventions by key stakeholders who gave their views on what needs to be done.
In contrast to previous events, the floor was then handed to participants, with roundtables allowing each and everyone to discuss, debate and reflect upon what they feel we need to do to make a real difference. The outcomes from these roundtables will feed into the work which The Concrete Initiative, in conjuntion with the wider construction industry, plans to take forward in 2017 and beyond.
- Greg Foster – Area Vice President Europe, Middle East and Africa, Habitat for Humanity
- Andrea Meszaros - Policy Officer, DG Empl, European Commission
- Victor Dries - Counselor Urban Environment, Cabinet of Vice President of the Flemish Government and Minister for Housing and fight against Poverty
- Gwilym Jones - Head of Brussels Office, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Ilse Spinnael - Head of Personal Lending Services, ING Belgium
- James Drinkwater - Regional Director, Europe Network, World Green Building Council
- Sophie Lambrighs – CEO, Home Invest Belgium
- Emmanuel Forest - Executive Vice-President, European and Public Affairs, Bouygues Europe / President, European Construction Technology Platform
Check out our photo album on Flickr! (© Bernal Revert)
Don't miss out! We also have a limited supply of 2017 desk calendars available - contact us now to receive one for free! (while stocks last)
Background documents of relevance:
Check our our latest blog: Affordable Housing: A pipe dream, or a future reality?